A few images from last year. As ever I find myself gravitating to a style that is driven by feeling. The storytelling is still apparent but movement and snapshots with that imperfect feel still seem to resonate the greatest with me in what they convey. These collectively are a snapshot of the year!
And if you reached the bottom of this post, I’m super glad. Just to mix things up and because I’m a huge music lover – I know a lot of people are but… – these are my favourite albums from the year (these are obviously just the artists but what they’ve released this year) – new or reissued.
- 10. DJ Sotofett – amazing afro, house, disco from Honest Jons.
- 9. I am just a Pupil – insanely beautiful ambient album overlaid with a strange variety of field recordings.
- 7. Suzanne Kraft – sublimely relaxing music for the small hours.
- 6.Luzmila Carpio – I’ve been to Boliva and I didn’t hear too much local music. If I had and it sounded like this, I would have been stoked.
- 5. Circuit des Yeux – lush and haunting vocals, lovely acoustic album for the right mood.
- 4. Dominique Dumont – Beautiful, calypso feeling beach sounds. Music the sun was made for.
- 3. Len Leise – Okay another chilled out album – but it is a gem. It’s no secret I like an ambient album. Duane Pitre, Ruf Dug and Gigi Masin are three others that had superb albums out.
- 2. Benjamin Clementine – I’m not sure this was this year as I’ve not seen much chat about it (despite him winning the Mercury) but it’s incredible. Up there with the great Anthony Hegarty.
- 1. Doug Blunt – In the way I like the imperfections of a polaroid or a snapshot this is the musical equivalent, raw, unpolished and beautiful. Everything I like about music is wrapped up in this album.